Tuesday, March 18, 2008

White lies.

We all tell white lies. Who doesn't? Whether it's about how fat our friends look in something or telling someone you're well on your way to the meeting destination when you only just stepped out of your house, we always seem to say something else rather than the exact truth. I guess it's better not to hurt those around you, though you would expect those closest to you not to withhold the truth.

It could be just human nature. No one wants to see those around them negatively impacted by their words. It happened to me as well, and will likely carry on happening. When I went out to clubs with my friends in the past, I would tell my mum where exactly I was going and doing and yes, there was gonna be alcohol. I thought there would be trust between us and that there was an understanding that I knew how to take care of myself. Obviously I didn't get the reaction I was expecting, which obviously led to a huge fight and many arguments following that. Our relationship became strained everytime I told her I was coming home late, and now I've given up. I either stay over at a friend's place now, or I wait till everyone leaves for work/school before I let myself in.

Is it wrong to lie? Yes, but if the truth hurts even more to my loved ones, I guess that's what I'd do.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey gal,

I can totally identify with your dilemma. As mere humans, we are waging a constant internal struggle on whether to tell the truth, spin up a fictatious tale, or omitting certain facts when it comes to sensitive issues. It's usually easier for both the giver and receiver of these white lies to escape from the truth, especially when it might hurt. Sometimes, simply knowing is enough, there's no need to throw things out in the light.

cHrissy said...

Seriously, sometimes it is good to tell a white lie if we wanna prevent bad things from happening. But at times, I still think that our parents are just worried for us. Afterall, which parent don't worry for their child?

FroStbiTe said...

Keep you tongue from evil, and your lips from telling lies. Turn from evil and do good, seek peace and pursue it.

Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiple kisses'.

hey yy. it's easy to associate with your dilemma - it's common yet intriguing. sometimes, i wonder, perhaps we've been so comfortable with lies or half-truths that when truths appear, they hurt and offend rather purfiy and heal.

Anonymous said...

I can relate to you in this instance cos that happened to me many times when i was much younger. My parents were rather strict and did not allow us to stay out late. In those situations, i had no choice but to lie to them. I did feel guilty but they were not in a position to understand or listen to me. Things have changed now that i am all grown up. I guess as parents, they want to protect and ensure that no harm befalls their children.

Anna said...

Hey, I am still having this problem with my mom - I'm 23yrs old but i believe this will go on till I get married and move out.

Because she still ask me where I go, who I go out with, my mom is the traditional, old-fashioned mom. So sometimes I tell white lie to avoid the nagging but to avoid feeling guilty I do housework. Lol. =)

Unknown said...

this is a very thin line, a totally for this issue, its a very difficult choice